OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2013 16:11:18 -0500
I agree with Ed & Bev. There were dozens of short eared owls in the
field north of the Sportsmans Center before the people with the horses and
hunting dogs started going through that field on a regular basis. The
short eared owls disapeared. Now that the dog and pony shows are in the
past the short eared owls are comeing back although less than a dozen.
    The location of owl habitat must be taken into consideration when
opening area to other uses. There used to be a breeding population of
short eared owls who stayed all year round on the reclaimed strip mine
land in the Woodsburry WA in Coshocton County. How do I know this? My
friend who lives out there and I watched them all year round. The State
did not believe that short eared owls were there and started using the
land for hunting dog training and trials as well as putting in several oil
wells. The owls are no longer there.
    I believe there is plenty of room for all types of use of the land
without destroying it. The hard part is putting together a plan that makes
everyone happy. Hard but not imposssiable so we have to at least try.