OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 17:28:03 -0400
I stopped at the north end of Hoover Reservoir between snow squalls this afternoon, and was rewarded with some decent birds.  Water was totally open, but the cold wind kept landbird numbers low and forced waterbirds into protected lees.  Highlights included:

Ring-necked Ducks - 500+ were scattered between the day at Dustin Rd and the shore along the Wiese RD bikepath
Other divers - mixed in with the RNDU were 60+ Lesser Scaup and 2-3 Redheads
OSPREY - 1 was circling over the Dustin Rd bay, my FOS
Tree Swallows - at least 12 were circling over the water in the still areas along Wiese Rd