OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
Regina Schieltz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Regina Schieltz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2013 21:37:03 -0400
Today the Darke Co. Birders went north to Lima, Van Wert, Paulding and
Celina.
The best bird of the day for us was FOY Wilson's Snipe and 10 white-phased
Snow Geese at Mercer Wildlife Area and an Eared Grebe at the Ferguson
Reservoir in Lima.
Below are lists from 4 of the areas.

Mercer Wildlife Area, Mercer, US-OH
Mar 17, 2013
16 species

Snow Goose  10     all white phase.   Flew together at one point to an area
in a corn field along 127
Canada Goose   21
Mallard  6
Ring-necked Duck  14
Lesser Scaup  14
Horned Grebe  1
Great Blue Heron  2
Bald Eagle  1
American Coot  4
Killdeer  1
Wilson's Snipe  1
Ring-billed Gull  30
Herring Gull  2
Mourning Dove  2
American Robin  4
Red-winged Blackbird  4

Furgeson Reservoir, Allen, US-OH
Mar 17, 2013  Traveling 6.0 mile(s)
Comments:     This reservoir and surrounding area.
28 species

Canada Goose  25
Northern Shoveler  4
Redhead  8
Ring-necked Duck  2
Lesser Scaup  35
Bufflehead  2
Common Goldeneye  1
Red-breasted Merganser  2
Ruddy Duck  40
Horned Grebe  12
Eared Grebe  1     seen close to horned grebes so comparison was possible
Turkey Vulture  2
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Killdeer  3
Ring-billed Gull  30
Mourning Dove  3
Northern Flicker  1
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  1

American Robin  5
European Starling  6
Song Sparrow  2
Dark-eyed Junco  3
Northern Cardinal  3
Red-winged Blackbird  4
Eastern Meadowlark  1
Common Grackle  2
House Sparrow  4

Paulding Co. north and west of Paulding, Paulding, US-OH
Mar 17, 2013  approx. time 2:45 PM - 4:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling 12.0 mile(s)
16 species  We didn’t find either snowy owl

Canada Goose  18
Gadwall  2
Mallard  4
Northern Shoveler  4
Ring-necked Duck  18
Lesser Scaup  16
Turkey Vulture  2
Northern Harrier  2
Killdeer  1
Mourning Dove  2
Horned Lark  3
American Robin  6
European Starling  6
Red-winged Blackbird  6
Eastern Meadowlark  1
House Sparrow  4

Along the way, we also saw several red tailed hawks and kestrels.