OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2013 04:36:41 -0700
This recalls an incident I was fortunate enough to witness once in the mid 1980's when I was a student at Hocking College in Nelsonville. At the time, I lived off campus in Buchtel, OH nearby. There was an extensive woodland behind the house where I stayed, a part of Wayne National Forest. One day when I was hiking while wearing my bark camouflage overalls, I came across a grouse drumming log with fresh scat. I noticed a nearby large tree upslope from the log and decided to lean against it and wait patiently. My patience paid off as a male Ruffed Grouse hopped up onto the log and began drumming. I did not have a camera but I have fond memories of this experience to this day.

David A. Brinkman
Master of Education, Xavier University
Cincinnati, OH