OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2013 15:42:26 -0400
Fellow birders,

      This weekend, while looking for early migrants, Vicki Derr and I
spotted what we believe was TWO Golden Eagles drifting northward over our
60 acre "yard".
99 out of 100 times when you see a large bird floating above you, it turns
out to be a Turkey Vulture.  However, it is well known that all the TV's in
Ohio were in Hinkley this past weekend, eating dead pancakes.  Besides,
after thirty plus years of birding we can both tell an eagle from a Turkey
vulture.

     That being said, the question quickly became "which eagle is that,
Golden or Bald?"  We had about five minutes of very good looks at these
birds, and both of us are fairly certain that they were not immature bald
eagles, but really two Golden Eagles. Actually, we are very certain.
 Happened to have the opportunity to talk to Jim Fry about this, and he
noted that they were being seen in Migration at this time, so it could be
possible.  Let me repeat. They were not turkey vultures.  They were far,
far too big to be any hawk.  I have seen Golden Eagle once before over this
farm, two years ago, so it's not unprecedented, just rare.  After all,
that's what rare birds are, rare.  I've been wrong before.  Just ask me
about my latest relationship.  But, I don't think I'm wrong here.

     Would love to hear other opinions about this.  Just be nice.

joe faulkner
somerset, ohio
perry county

Clouse lake report