OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 13:10:23 -0400
Fellow birders and posters,

     Want to thank all of you who responded to the post of the Golden
Eagles over Perry County.  Once again, I learned a great deal, both about
Eagles, how to properly post a sighting, and how helpful this listserve can
really be.  First of all, based on help with what to look for in
distinguishing between Golden and Bald eagles, we are now 99.2% certain
that these were, in fact, two Golden Eagles soaring over our farm on
Sunday.  Thanks especially to Haans and Paul helping note what the
important field marks would be.  The key field marks were, in the order we
observed them,  a very large bird, all dark underparts, a slight dihedral,
and a small head relative to tail ratio.  The lack of any speckling or
white spots was also important. We looked real hard for that and did not
find them.  When we got back and looked at photos on the Audubon app., we
were fairly certain we were right.  Now, as I said, we are 99.2% certain,
if not more.

     This is a great tool for improving your birding skills.  Thanks also
to those friends and birding acquaintances who shared their own experiences.

joe in the woods
perry county
somerset, ohio