OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 20:42:33 -0400
I stopped at a few spots around and adjacent to my NE COlumbus suburb over the last 2 days and found that this last wintry blast is keeping some winter birds around, and 'freezing' migration in its early stages.  Stops at Hannah Farms Park yesterday and Ridenour Road parkland and Ridgewood Park today found some winter birds still present, but only a few early migrants.  Included among the lingering winter birds were:

Red-headed Woodpeckers - 1 adult and juvenile continue to hang out in the pocket woodlot at Hannah Farms
Red-br.Nuthatch - 1 was still in a large grove of pines along Ridenour Rd in Gahanna, where 1 has been most of the winter
Golden-cr.Kinglets - 1 was at Hannah Farms, while 2 were at Ridgewood; these could be migrants or wintering birds
Tree Sparrows - a few were at Hannah Farms and at Ridenour Road
Juncos - small flocks were at all 3 sites

The early migrants included:
E.Phoebe - 1 bird along Old Ridenour, while 2  were lurking in the ravine at Ridgewood Park
Brown Creepers - singles were at all 3 sites, so they're starting to move
Amer.Robins - flocks of 20-25 birds were at all 3 sites, despite the rainy, then cold weather
Fox Sparrows - 3 were at Hannah Farms Park, while 1 was at Ridgewood
Blackbirds - small #s of all 3 common species - Redwings, Grackles, & Cowbirds - were at all 3 sites.