OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:35:14 -0400
Today I went birding with longtime friend Jim Fry. Themajority of our time was spent at Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area in WyandotCounty and the last part was a stop at Hoover Reservoir Dam in Franklin County.Waterfowl were well represented in both species and numbers. The highlight hasto be the Greater White-fronted Geese. Initially we located 41 individuals atthe wetland pond off TH-108.This we thought was a nice observation and expectedas there had been several postings for the group. But then another flight ofGreater White-fronted Geese came in from the east, strung out like a longstring of pearls. They were quite a sight as they glided in to the water. Afterthey settled Jim and I scoped the group in and started counting. Their movementamong each other prevented a perfect count but our estimate was approximately65 to 75 individuals.
The pond along TH-108 had the greatest concentration ofwaterfowl including a large flock of Tundra Swans, and impressive numbers ofNorthern Pintail, plus 13 other species of duck Pied-billed and Horned Grebes,American Coot and the Greater White-fronted Geese.
The Upground Reservoir had Common Loon, Horned Grebe,Pied-billed Grebe and a few species of ducks. Pond 33 was mostly Ring-neckedDucks and Lesser Scaup, Pond 33 held Wood Duck, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup,Hooded Merganser, Ruddy Ducks and a few Pied Billed Grebes. Pond 27 was mostlyGadwall, Northern Pintail and American Widgeon.
We didn’t look for owls today but we did find a lateRough-legged Hawk and some Northern Harriers and Bald eagles. No sign of theNorthern Shrike.
Our last stop of the day was Hoover Reservoir where welocated the Snow Bunting on the peninsula.
A list of some of our birds for the day follows.
Charlie Bombaci

Species(in part)
Common Loon
Pied-billed Grebe