OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
Ryan Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:03:09 -0400
         I checked the causeway and the pond between the ends of the Magee Marsh boardwalk today at 10:15am, 3:30pm, and 6:00pm today and did not see the Eurasian Wigeon found yesterday by Bob Foppe.  As the day progressed, more and more water opened up in the marsh and the ducks spread out.  It is very possible the Eurasian Wigeon is still in the area and just wasn't visible today.   Even so, there is a lot of waterfowl in the area well worth seeing!  I have made at least one trip to the causeway and pond every day this week except yesterday (of course) and have been regularly seeing Trumpeter Swan, Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Mallard, American Black Duck, Northern Pintail, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Green-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Ring-necked Duck, Redhead, Bufflehead, Common Merganser, and Hooded Merganser.  In addition to these species there were quite a few Blue-winged Teal in the area today and on my last check at the pond I had 5 Snow Geese fly over (4 white morph, 1 blue morph)!
Ryan Steiner
Research & Education Intern
Black Swamp Bird Observatory
13551 West State Route 2
Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449
419-898-4070
www.bsbobird.org

Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/bsbobird
http://www.facebook.com/ohioyoungbirders

BSBO is proud to sponsor BIRDING OHIO on Facebook