OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 21:49:54 -0400
Upon our arrival to the Conneaut Harbor area this afternoon at about 3PM, we found it completely blanketed in snow and ice. In The Marina Area, the wind was brutal and it was a cold twenty-six degrees. The Marina Area, and the upper parking area overlooking the wide portion of the public beach, were the only public areas accessible by vehicle because of the snowy conditions. "The Sandspit" was covered with enormous amounts of ice. The protected harbor had hundreds, maybe thousands, of a great variety of waterfowl. Thousands of gulls were in the harbor or resting on the ice at "The Sandspit". Greeting us along the Marina Road, were up close and personal, photo cooperating, Lapland Longspurs. During our two hour and fifteen minute visit we recorded 29 species of birds. Our number one highlight was a beautiful male Eurasian Wigeon resting on the shore across the channel from the public boat ramp. Along the breakwall near The Lighthouse were an amazing number of 250+ Common Mergansers. Along with the hundreds of Lesser Scaup, were six Greater Scaup. Some of the other species of interest were 8 Tundra Swans, 150+ Common Goldeneyes, 6 Lesser Black-backed Gulls, 80+adult Great Black-backed Gulls, and 60+ Turkey Vultures soaring overhead. With the recent reports of numerous Bonaparte's Gulls thirty miles to the east at Presque Isle, in neighboring Pennsylvania; we were surprised to not find any today at Conneaut. With the abundance of birdlife in the harbor area, there should be many possibilities for finding a Conneaut rarity over the weekend.

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County