OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2013 21:52:48 -0400
Columbus Audubon invites you to an evening of honors, celebration, and
entertainment on Tuesday, March 26!  We hope to see you there for a very
special evening for the birds and those who care about them!! Members and
guests are welcome.

6:15 - 6:45 pm - Enjoy refreshments, including a special cake celebrating
Columbus Audubon's 100th anniversary. Take this opportunity to meet National
Audubon president, David Yarnold and Columbus mayor, Michael Coleman.

6:45 - 7:30 pm - We will honor the 2013 recipients of Columbus Audubon's
James Chase Hambleton and CA/GIAC's Conservation Champion awards. After the
awards, we will hear remarks from national Audubon president, David Yarnold,
and Mayor Coleman.

7:30 pm - Our program continues with renowned artist and author Julie
Zickefoose. The Bluebird Effect: Uncommon Bonds with Common Birds is about
what happens when you are taken into the confidence of a wild bird. It's
about the unexpected mental and emotional capacities of birds, especially
songbirds, which we tend to underestimate and overlook. Everyone knows that
crows, ravens, and parrots are intelligent, but have you thought about
hummingbirds? Julie Zickefoose has a unique perspective, having been mother
to six. Join her for an intimate, eye-opening look at the rich lives of
birds.

The art and writing of Julie Zickefoose unite to bring us stunning visuals
and profound observations of birds and animals. Some of her key
accomplishments include her first book of illustrated essays, Letters from
Eden, in 2006, natural history commentator on NPR's All Things Considered
from 2005-2010, her paintings have been featured on 21 covers of Bird
Watcher's Digest, and her new book, The Bluebird Effect: Uncommon Bonds With
Common Birds, published in March 2012 and chosen as Book of the Week on
www.Oprah.com
<http://www.oprah.com/blogs/Book-of-the-Week-The-Bluebird-Effect> .

Julie is a member of one of Ohio's first families of birding and
conservation. She lives on an 80-acre sanctuary in southern Ohio with her
husband, publisher and published author Bill Thompson III, children Phoebe
and Liam, and Boston terrier Chet Baker.

Columbus Audubon public programs are held at the Grange Insurance Audubon
Center (505 West Whittier Street
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=505+West+Whitti
er+Street,+Columbus,+OH&sll=39.944182,-82.983339&sspn=0.010611,0.022638&g=50
5+East+Whittier+Street,+Columbus,+OH&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=505+W+Whittier+St,+Co
lumbus,+Franklin,+Ohio+43215&ll=39.9513,-83.011408&spn=0.02122,0.045276&z=15