OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:34:46 -0400
Thanks to Dave Hochadel for posting about Larry Richardson's Sunday morning sightings at Mosquito Lake, in Trumbull County. We arrived at Mosquito Lake about 1:15PM. We immediately found the reported Eared Grebe on the south side of the SR88 Causeway. There was also several Horned Grebes. We were in good birding company today, with the other visiting birders present being Irene Krise, Ryan Golterman, Shari Jackson, and Ronnie Macko. We continued on to Hoagland Blackstub Road, and the northwest corner of the lake. Upon our arrival, Irene spotted the reported male Eurasian Wigeon. As Dave had posted earlier, waterfowl were numerous and everyhere. At the end of Mahan Denman Road we found 96 Tundra Swans standing on the ice. We all returned to the SR88 Causway for another look, once again finding the Eared Grebe. Prior to our departure at about 3:15PM, Ryan spotted 2 beautiful male Surf Scoters, also on the southside of the causeway. The afternoon became a social event, sharing these great birds with other avid birding enthusiasts

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County