OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
Ryan Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2013 15:47:57 -0400
The cold weather of the last week has really "frozen" migration in place but it looks like that should change this weekend!  Looking at the weather forecast, the wind should shift to the southwest on Saturday and the weather should warm up.  This should bring a lot of great migrants into our area.

Similar to the last time the wind shifted to the south, hawk migration should be a highlight.  Once again, Turkey Vultures, Red-tailed, Red-shouldered, and Coopers Hawks should make up the bulk of the flight but it is likely there will be Sharp-shinned Hawk, Rough-legged Hawk, and American Kestrel moving as well.  Here in northwest Ohio two great hawk-watching sites are the tower at Magee Marsh Wildlife Area and the hill at Maumee Bay State Park.  While you are out hawk watching keep an eye out for migrating Sandhill Cranes as they may start moving as well.

Waterfowl migration should be peaking as well.  Dabbling ducks should be around in large numbers, while diving ducks should start moving out, reducing their numbers on the lake.  The remaining Tundra Swans should move out and be mostly gone.

Shorebirds should also begin to increase in numbers with Wilson's Snipe, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, and Pectoral Sandpipers being most prominent.  For those who have been watching the American Woodcock migration closely, it should be ending after this weekend.  The birds displaying in our area should settle into the more consistent "2 minutes on the ground-flight-2 minutes on the ground-flight" pattern that suggests a territorial bird.  Great Egret will be another bird to watch for.  We found our first Great Egrets yesterday, but many more should be on the way this weekend!

Passerines should also start to move.  This should be a great weekend for a strong flight of Lapland Longspurs.  Great places to look for these birds would be the hill at Maumee Bay State Park and along Turtle Creek on Lickert-Harder Road.  The Turtle Creek location is also excellent for Rusty Blackbirds, another species that should make a big movement this weekend.  Fox and Song Sparrows should also increase in numbers and it is possible that Brown Creepers, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Winter Wren, and perhaps even Hermit Thrushes will begin to move.  It is unlikely that these birds will be in the area in large numbers but reports of the first migrants would not be unexpected.

All in all, there should be a lot to see this weekend so get out birding if you get the chance!  If nothing else it will be nice to be outside in some warmer weather!

Ryan Steiner
Research & Education Intern
Black Swamp Bird Observatory
13551 West State Route 2
Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449
419-898-4070
www.bsbobird.org

Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/bsbobird
http://www.facebook.com/ohioyoungbirders

BSBO is proud to sponsor BIRDING OHIO on Facebook