OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
Leslie Sours <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leslie Sours <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:41:31 -0400
During the summer of 2011's rail fest at Glacier Ridge Metro Park, I watched a very young pie-billed grebe catch and eat a frog.  It took about 20 minutes to devour, with a lot of dropping the frog, diving to retrieve it, mangling it, and tearing off manageable portions.  It was an impressively large frog for such a petite (yet tough) youngster.  Looks like your grebe just gobbled it!
Leslie, Columbus

Sent from my iPad