OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 18:37:52 -0700
Well stated. Thanks Kenn

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

--- Original Message ---

From: "OHIO-BIRDS automatic digest system" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: March 28, 2013 3/28/13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: OHIO-BIRDS Digest - 26 Mar 2013 to 27 Mar 2013 (#2013-87)

Topics of the day:

  1. Pied-billed Grebe a 'frogivore'
  2. common loon
  3. Rare bird reports next Monday (2)
  4. California Gull, Conneaut Harbor 3/27
  5. Wayne County Shorebirds 3/27/13
  6. Tappan Lake, Harrison, Ohio

Date:    Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:41:31 -0400
From:    Leslie Sours <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Pied-billed Grebe a 'frogivore'

During the summer of 2011's rail fest at Glacier Ridge Metro Park, I watched=
 a very young pie-billed grebe catch and eat a frog.  It took about 20 minut=
es to devour, with a lot of dropping the frog, diving to retrieve it, mangli=
ng it, and tearing off manageable portions.  It was an impressively large fr=
og for such a petite (yet tough) youngster.  Looks like your grebe just gobb=
led it!
Leslie, Columbus

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 26, 2013, at 8:35 PM, Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]> wrote=
: