OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2013 19:18:11 -0400
Big Island Wildlife Area in Marion Countyhosted many species of waterfowl today with many both along Ohio Rte. 95 andLaRue-Prospect Road. The stars today were the Northern Pintail which were inspectacular numbers. The other duck species that were well represented includedNorthern Shoveler, Ring-necked Duck, Redhead and Green-winged Teal. Other duckspecies were present in lesser numbers. Nine Trumpeter Swans were seen alongLaRue-Prospect Road. Two had the ODNR neck collars.
We observed 4 Bald Eagles, including 2 onnests. No Northern Harriers were present. On our trip home we visited HogbackRoad in Delaware County and observed 2 Osprey.
Eastern Meadowlarks were singing in thefields along Epsyville Road. Their color is very brilliant and they were likegiant buttercups singing from their perches.
A list of some of the species follows.
 Charlie Bombaci
Specieslist:
Pied-billed Grebe