OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
"Kahl, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kahl, Steve
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2013 20:50:32 -0400
It was getting a little discouraging when we experienced snow squalls as
late as Wednesday. But Thursday was the start of a streak of sunshine,
higher temps, and more signs of spring. Perhaps the most heartening was our
first calling Western Chorus Frogs of the year. One visitor commented about
how good it felt when he was walking along Ferguson Bayou Trail to stop,
soak in the sunshine, and listen to the frogs.

The main spring migrants to arrive were Eastern Meadowlark and Eastern
Phoebe. Red-winged Blackbirds are singing throughout the cattail marshes
and singing Song Sparrows are now widespread. Killdeer, Turkey Vultures,
and Rusty Blackbirds are much more common. The ice is still leaving our
marshes slowly and waterfowl numbers are increasing at the same rate.
Especially more common are Northern Pintail, Wood Duck, and Ring-necked
Duck. Over 400 Tundra Swans were counted this week and the high count for
Sandhill Cranes inched up to 39.

Another significant event was the sighting of our first Woodchuck of the
year. Silver Maple and Quaking Aspen buds are noticeably swollen. Muskrats
are being seen much more frequently on the marsh edges and on top of the
ice. Opossums and Eastern Chipmunks are beeing seen as well.

 The MI DNR conducted their aerial survey of the Bald Eagle nests on the
refuge and reported that all six are active. Plus, there are still many
immature and migrant Bald Eagles to be seen. An immature Golden Eagle was
seen circling low over Ferguson Bayou Trail Thursday.

We are looking forward to seeing what the south winds and high temperatures
of the weekend bring us. After the prolonged cold these conditions should
bring a big wave of new migrants. Why don't you come out and take a walk
along one of our four trails and let us know what you see?

 If you would like to see the fine Horned Lark photo that accompanies this
report on our Facebook page, go to
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shiawassee-National-Wildlife-Refuge/437597322966257
.

Steven F. Kahl