OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2013 13:58:56 -0400
We were in the Conneaut Harbor Area today, Saturday, from 10AM to 12:30PM. The weather was wonderful, no wind, plenty of sunshine, and 42 degrees. The water was calm with no wave action. One highlight of the morning was a beautiful male Oldsquaw, out toward the lighthouse with some Lesser Scaup. Being oldtime birders we still like to refer to the Long-tailed Duck as Oldsquaw, what it was called before that name was determined to be politically incorrect or for whatever the reason. The second best highlight was an adult Glaucous Gull dominating a floating log over by "The Sandspit". Turkey Vultures have apparently decided the observation deck at "The Sandspit", is now their roost. Of the thousands of noisy gulls present, there were about 80+ Bonaparte's Gulls. We were unable to find any Little Gulls mixed in the group. Common Mergansers were in the mouth of the harbor by the lighthouse. Common Goldenyes were west of the public beach. 17 species of waterfowl were found. Vehicle access can now be achieved to all areas except "The Sandspit", which you can walk out to. It will be an adventure for the first vehicle of the season to make the trek to "The Sandspit".

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County