OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2013 14:15:39 -0700
I was at Sims Park in Euclid this morning form 10:45 to 11:45am.  There were two male Surf Scoters out pretty far from the eastern end of the park.  Also saw 21 Ruddy Ducks, over 40 Common Goldeneye, small numbers of Red-breasted Mergansers, Scaup, Hooded Merganser.  I flushed an American Woodcock that was in the leaves on top of the bluff (eastern end of park).  The last few weeks I have gone there I have seen different ducks each week, Ring-necked, Canvasback, Northern Shovelers.

At Villa Angela and Wildwood today (11:55 to 2:55pm)there were four Hooded Mergansers in the marina.  I saw two to thee Eastern Towhees today in Villa Angela.  I saw my first of the year one on 3/9 here.  There was an Eastern Phoebe in the woods of Wildwood today and a singing Carolina Wren along the creek.  I also saw a Phoebe in the field in Villa Angela two weeks ago.  Today I saw Mourning Cloak.  On 3/10 I saw an Eastern Comma (don't think it was a Question Mark). There were two Mockingbirds hunting in the grassy field today and another one singing on the property east of the marina.  Other than many Song Sparrows didn't see anything else too unusual today other than many Ring-billed and Herring Gulls making a lot of noise along the lake.

I have continued to have small numbers of Common Redpolls coming to my feeder in my backyard since January 5th.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
Northeastern Cuyahoga County
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/