OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
Andrea Krava <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrea Krava <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2013 20:52:32 -0400
Greetings birders!  What a fun couple of days birding!  This morning (Saturday) my sister Natalie and I went up to Mohican and saw the famous Evening Grosbeaks. They were in pine trees around the houses they've been reported at all season. They were very chatty - we heard them well before we saw them. Definitely a sound I wasn't familiar with, so I knew it had to be them!  There were at least a few males and probably twice as many females that we saw, but there seemed to be many more that we didn't see. A pine Siskin stopped by too, and sang - another song we don't hear much if in Ohio!  Walking from the Gorge Overlook (where we parked) we heard and saw a pine warbler.

Friday afternoon, we made a quick visit to Slate Run Metro Park's wetland and watched a sora. I work at Slate Run (Columbus/Franklin Co Metro Parks) and visitors and volunteers had been seeing the sora all week. It was in the first pond to the right after the parking lot. It worked through the shrubs and brush on the far shore but it was pretty easy to see.

Red breasted nuthatches are still coming to the suet feeders at my office in the park, too.

Enjoy this time when winter birds are still hanging on and spring birds are arriving!

Andrea Krava
Baltimore, OH
Slate Run Metro Park Naturalist

Sent from my iPhone