OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2013 13:53:29 -0400
Hi all,

Beth and I got in a little birding this weekend, and were happy to see some
friends in the field as well.

Yesterday, Saturday, we went to Shaker Lakes. There wasnıt much activity
there, honestly, but there were two nice sightings:

A pair of Bufflehead, which are not do common there
A common Loon in full alternate plumage

Today, Sunday, we went to a few spots:

Wildwood/Villa Angela:

There, we saw pretty much what Nancy A had already reported:

-lots of Red-breasted Mergansers‹many hundreds. A few small groups of males
courting remaining available females
-Ring-billed Gulls
-Belted Kingfisher (2)
-One male Horned Grebe, in nearly full alternate plumage
-one pair of Lesser Scaup
-a couple of pairs of Redheads
-just a few Mallards
-and the predictable species‹American Robin, Northern Cardinal, House
Sparrows, Rock Pigeons, European Starlings, Canada Goose and as many as
about 10 Turkey Vultures

Dike 14 turning basin:

-scores of pairs of Lesser Scaup (we canıt say with certainty that we had
any Greaters)
-three Blue-winged Teal
-a few each of Bufflehead, Horned Grebe, Redhead
-a pair of Ring-necked Duck
-surprisingly small number of Mallards
-lots of American Robins on the grass, some Canada Geese and Turkey Vultures

Erie Street Cemetery:

-4 Woodcock (we heard from Paula Lozano and Bob Finklestein that there had
been as many as 13, one of which was eaten by a Cooperıs Hawk)
-2 Fox Sparrows (we also heard there had been at least one more earlier)
-1 American Tree Sparrow
-1 eastern Towhee (female)
-dozens of Song Sparrows
-dozens of Dark-eyed Juncos, many of which were trilling
-1 Cooperıs Hawk
-1Peregrine Falcon

Best wishes,

Steve Cagan