OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:45:01 -0500
I hiked around these 2 MetroParks southeast of Columbus this morning, though perhaps 'slushed' was a better verb.  Despite the heavy overnight snow, the roads were mostly clear and the temperature was well-above freezing soon after sunrise.  Ponds at Slate Run were partially open; those at the Wetlands had waterfowl, while Buzzardsroost Lake was mostly empty.  The Blacklick Nature Center feeders were really hopping, but there were few unexpected birds.  Notables for the morning included:

Dabbling Ducks - among the Mallards at Slate Run Wetlands were also 1 Wood Duck, 2 Black Ducks, 1 Wigeon, and 3 Green-winged Teal.
Diving Ducks - Slate Run Wetlands had 12 Ring-necks, 6 Lesser Scaup, and 1 Redhead, mostly in the pond near the parking area
Turkey Vultures - small #s (2-3) flying north at most stops
Red-tailed Hawks - a few were everywhere.  1 was dragging a dead squirrel around the area of the Blacklick Nature Center
Kildeer - singles were at the Slate Run Wetlands and the entrance road at Slate Run
Barred Owl - 1 was calling at the Slate Run Wetlands, while another was reported from the Maple Trail at Blacklick
Pileated Woodpecker - singles were at both the 5-Oaks Trail at Slate Run and the Blacklick Nature Center
Brown Creeper - still scarce, but I did find one along the 5-Oaks Trail at Slate Run
E.Bluebirds - singing males were at several spots at Slate Run
Yellow-rumped Warblers - small flocks along both the 5-Oaks Trail (Slate Run) and the Multi-Use Path (Blacklick)
Tree Sparrows - rare elsewhere, but not at the Blacklick Nature Center feeders, where 10-12 regaled observers
Redwinged Blackbirds - males widespread, with the high of 9 around the Blacklick Nature Center feeders
Purple Finch - 1 female has been hanging around the Nature Center feeders, but I couldn't locate it this morning.