OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
Ryan Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2013 13:31:59 -0400
Although I wasn't planning on it, I decided to make time to get out to Magee Marsh Tower to watch hawks from 10:00am-1:00pm yesterday (the good weather was too tempting).  The flight was good for the entire time I was there and I saw the following migrants:

Turkey Vulture- 53
Cooper's Hawk- 1
Red-shouldered Hawk- 1
Red-tailed Hawk-13
Rough-legged Hawk- 1
American Crow- 15
Killdeer- 61

Early on in the day thousands and thousands of Herring Gulls were passing over and throughout the day huge flocks of Canada Geese went over.  Perhaps the most interesting bird however, was a single Tree Swallow that passed by heading northwest!

This morning (3/11) I completed my biweekly survey on the John F. Gallagher Memorial Trail and the Black Swamp Bird Observatory feeders.  Despite the survey conditions this morning, which consisted of light rain and some wind, the birds were still active and there were definitely changes in numbers and behavior from last week.  Most noticeable was a few species that joined in the early morning chorus.  Although Red-winged Blackbirds and Northern Cardinals have been singing throughout the last week, this morning American Robins, Song Sparrows, and even the occasional American Tree Sparrow could be heard singing along the trail.  The Song Sparrows around were also notable.  While we have been seeing a single Song Sparrow once every other week or so at the feeder, there were four at the feeder this morning!  Some of the American Tree Sparrows seem to have moved as well, since before this weekend almost all the birds I saw at the feeder were banded and now only about half are banded.  This weekend has been a great taste of spring!  I am certainly looking forward to the next couple of months!
Ryan Steiner
Research & Education Intern
Black Swamp Bird Observatory
13551 West State Route 2
Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449
419-898-4070
www.bsbobird.org

Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/bsbobird
http://www.facebook.com/ohioyoungbirders

BSBO is proud to sponsor BIRDING OHIO on Facebook