OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2013 20:48:45 -0700
Hello All... Targets for the day were Long-tailed Duck and Eurasian Wigeon. We found neither, but did pick up 2 new 'year birds', plus two other sightings that were unexpected 'bonuses', as follows:

CLEARFORK RESERVOIR is located just S of Mansfield, with most of the public access along SR97, W of Lexington, OH. Two days ago a Eurasian Wigeon was reliably reported from here, but not to be re-found this morning. In fact, only 1 American Wigeon was located; likely left behind when the others departed. Surprisingly, not many of the expected waterfowl for this time of year were found here, and those that were found were low in numbers. Waterfowl seen (from high to low numbers) were:
- Red-breasted Merganser - 15
- Lesser Scaup
- Mallard Duck
- Ring-necked Duck
- Bufflehood
- Hooded Merganser
- Ruddy Duck
- Wood Duck (new for 2013)
- Northern Pintail
- American Wigeon - 1

FUNK WILDLIFE AREA - From Clearfork Reservoir, take SR 97 E to Butler, then take SR 95 E to Funk WA. From pull-offs along SR 95, we saw 50 or so Tree Swallows, plus the following waterfowl species, from most to least in number:
- Northern Pintail
- Tundra Swan
- American Black Duck
- Mallard Duck
- Gadwall
Waterfowl species seen from Wilderness Road, along the S end of Funk WA:
- Tundra Swans
- Northern Pintail
- Northern Shoveler
- Mallard Duck
- Gadwall
- Green-winged Teal
- Blue-winged Teal (new for 2013)

KILLDEER PLAINS WA - After talking with some Amish birders along Wilderness Road, and who had just come from Killbuck Marsh with no great news of unusual sightings there, we opted to head back W on SR 30 to Killdeer Plains WA where good numbers of American Wigeon had been reported recently. Here are some highlights from KPWA:
- Tundra Swan - at least 150 remain on the long impoundment just E of CR 108, going to the S off CH 71 (the N boundary road of KPWA).
- Redhead Duck - in great numbers (300+) on the ponds at the intersection of CH 71 and CR 108 (NE corner). Also a N Shrike in this area, along CH 71.
- Nothern Pintail - good numbers in the same area as Tundra Swans, above.
- Lesser Scaup - along CR 108
- Mallard Duck - several locations
- Ruddy Duck - several locations
- Gadwall - mostly along CR 108
- Bald Eagle - On nests in 3 different locations!
- Golden Eagle - 1 adult seen well, flying/circling from the E end of Abraham Marsh. Disappeared as it continued to the NE. As I recall, this is the 3rd GOEA that has been reported here in Ohio this week. How many more may be moving through that have gone undetected??
- Yellowlegs Spp - probably Greater, but not sure as they both flew as we drove by, heading straight away, and couldn't be heard or re-located.

All for now... Good Birding!

Dan Sanders
Columbus area