OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2013 18:57:18 -0400
Wednesday, the 13th, Sandy Tkach and I conduct the 16th Kelleys Island
March monthly survey.  Weather conditions were overcast to PC, 30-33 F,
S-SW to NW winds of 10-30 mph with blinding snow squalls.  Survey began at
0815 EST and ended 1300 EST.  We observed 49 species and 4749 individuals
which was below the 16 year average of 54 species and 5501 individuals.
Weather conditions definitely affected the survey but it appeared that much
of the waterfowl had all ready headed north and some of the early migrants
had not moved in.

44     Canada Goose
71     Mallard
4       Greater Scaup
264   Bufflehead
1409 Common Goldeneye
2       Hooded Merganser
13     Common Merganser
218   Red-breasted Merganser
*        Wild Turkey
2       Great Blue Heron
4       Turkey Vulture
7       Bald Eagle
3       Red-tailed Hawk
4       Killdeer
717   Ring-billed Gull
358   Herring Gull
2       Great Black-backed Gull
2       Mourning Dove
2       Eastern Screech-Owl
*        Red-bellied Woodpecker
16     Downy Woodpecker
8       Northern Flicker
2       Blue Jay
96     American Crow
3       Horned Lark
43     Black-capped Chickadee
2       Red-breasted Nuthatch
2       White-breasted Nuthatch
11     Brown Creeper
7       Carolina Wren
3       Winter Wren
5       Golden-crowned Kinglet
2       Eastern Bluebird
2       Hermit Thrush
161   American Robin
53     European Starling
22     Yellow-rumped Warbler
12     American Tree Sparrow
2       Fox Sparrow
15     Song Sparrow
1       Swamp Sparrow
22     White-throated Sparrow
43     Dark-eyed Junco
34     Northern Cardinal
427   Red-winged Blackbird
35     Rusty Blackbird
469   Common Grackle
55     Brown-headed Cowbird
3       Purple Finch
4       House Finch
*       American Goldfinch
63     House Sparrow

49 species (16 year Average = 54 species)
4749 individuals (16 year Average = 5501 individuals)

--
H. Thomas Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio