OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
Hayward Chappell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hayward Chappell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2013 16:53:03 -0400
I meant to post this yesterday...

Just north of Byrd Locks and Dam along Ohio River on Rt. 7 in Gallia
County- I saw two bald eagles down in a corn field along the river. One was
about 10 yards away from dead deer apparently checking it out. Both stayed
on the ground for awhile until I had to go. Coming back 3 hours later, I
looked in the same area and saw one up in a tree along the river.  I walked
towards it and it allowed me to get very close to the tree. Watched it for
a while and then the other one flew in. One had all white head and the
other had a mottled head. I thought this meant the male and female, but my
guide said adults have white head so maybe this was adult male and
adolescent??? If so, where was the female???

Pretty cool for me

Hayward Chappell
Lawrence County

--