OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2013

From:
"Kahl, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kahl, Steve
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:13:13 -0400
I thought this news would be worthwhile to readers of this list because
many visitors to our neck of the woods in Michigan come from Ohio.  We
posted the text below on the Michigan birding sites.

The recovery of the Bald Eagle is one of America's greatest conservation
success stories. There were no eagle pairs nesting at Shiawassee National
Wildlife Refuge thirty years ago. The good news is that we now have six
Bald Eagle nesting territories. The bad news is that one pair is nesting
right next to the Wildlife Drive. Thus, we may have to delay the opening of
our auto tour route again this year.

This eagle pair is good at parenting and they have been incubating
diligently. The male has been seen bringing fish to the female on the nest.
Also, you can see that they built a massive nest in a good sturdy tree
crotch. Last year this pair fledged two big and healthy eaglets.

We do not know yet how long the delay will be because it is difficult to
know exactly when the eggs were laid. We will know better as the nesting
season progresses. We will immediately provide updates on our Facebook site
as we find each piece of new evidence. Like us and you will get
notifications of these updates.

If you would like to see a photo of an adult on the quite impressive nest,
visit our Facebook
site at <
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shiawassee-National-Wildlife-Refuge/437597322966257
>.