From:
Nicholas Fensler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nicholas Fensler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2013 13:19:48 -0400
I drove out to Killdeer Plains yesterday and a flock of about 30 American White Pelicans flew in from the west and landed on the eastern unit of pond 27 on the north side of CH-68. I went back out this morning to see if they were still they and they were. They are recognizable with binoculars, but they are at the back of the pond so a scope would give better looks. Also, in the extensive mudflats on the eastern side of the western unit of pond 27 there was a single Glossy Ibis. Although I leave myself open to correction, the facial pattern I could see in the photographs I took seemed to especially indicate Glossy (dark eyes, dark blue-gray face bracketed with white lines; it appeared to be an adult). There were lots of more common birds, too. Dozens to hundreds of Pectoral Sandpipers with a few of both species of Yellowlegs thrown in. I had 11 American Golden-Plovers in non-breeding plumage yesterday, but they seem to have either relocated to continued on their journey with the strong southern winds. The waterfowl diversity is still good, too, with about 20 species but not in the numbers there were a few weeks ago. The landbirds were pretty good,  with a noticeable movement of sparrows. Several flocks included many White-crowned and Field Sparrows with smaller numbers of Vesper and Fox Sparrows. I did not note Hermit Thrush (which I really  had expected) but I did see/hear a singing Brown Thrasher. Yesterday I also had American Pipits in the muddy field on the south side of CH-68 across from pond 27, but they were not there today. However, I did have two good sized fly-over flocks today. Great birding...spring is upon us! Nick FenslerJenera, OH