From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2013 00:08:50 -0400
Spent an amazing couple of chilly windy days in NW Ohio.  Highlights
included seeing an immature Golden eagle just south and west from the
intersection of SR 2 and SR 579 in Ottawa county - the bird was missing a
tail feather.  Views were distant but they were enough.  About an hour and a
half later, I spotted the same exact bird flying about 100 feet over the old
ONWR center.  The eagle floated around at low level and provided excellent
extended looks.

Other highlights at ONWR were a single Sandhill crane flyover and 7
Forster's terns.

Perhaps the most amazing spectacle of the trip was seeing Lesser scaup
staging right off of Maumee Bay State Park - there were tens of thousands of
them.  This extended from Maumee clear over to Crane Creek.  The estuary at
Crane Creek alone probably held 4,000 - 5,000 scaup.  There were some
Greater scaup mixed in but they were few and far between.

There were many other excellent birds -but these were the highlights in my
opinion.

Glen Crippen

Burr Oak Lake