From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:16:16 -0400
Yesterday, Sunday, April 14, my wife Denise and I, along with fellow birders Jeff Harvey, Ben Morrison, and Jim Dolan, birded various locations in eastern Mahoning County. From 8:30AM to 5:30PM we recorded a rewarding 96 species of birds. The temperature varied from 38 degrees in the morning to 64 degrees in the afternoon. It was a pleasant day. Today was definitely the day of the Ruddy Duck, with thousands at Evans and Pine Lake. Massive rafts of Ruddies, Buffleheads, and Lesser Scaup were at both lakes. Best birds at Evans were two White-winged Scoters, and at Pine Lake, a single gorgeous drake Common Merganser. We viewed two Bald Eagle nests, each with two youngsters. Some of the other memorable sightings of the day were Virginia Rail, Sora, Spotted Sandpiper, Winter Wren, Pectoral Sandpiper, Wilson's Snipe, Caspian Tern, Bonaparte's Gull, and Green Heron. A day to remember!
Bob Lane / Mahoning County