From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 19:13:29 -0400
Alex Champagne wrote to tell me he'd seen an adult yellow-crowned
night-heron just yesterday morning near the Preston Road nest in
Columbus, so an eighteenth consecutive year of nesting at the site for
this Ohio rarity may still be possible.  Let's hope so.
        Other cities, such as Dayton, have hosted repeated nestings by YCNH in
the past, and rural roosts have been found, but Columbus has the most
records. Nests were found here beginning in the '50s, and in 1965 were
found along Little Darby Creek, Big Darby Creek, near the Leatherlips
memorial, in Minerva Park, and three along South High Street. Jim Fry
counted 40 birds (28 of them nestlings) in a single colony in Upper
Arlington during one year in the '70s. The Preston Road colony, which
has never exceeded two active nests, has been however the longest-lasting.
I hope observers will check the area out this spring to see if the
tradition continues...
Bill Whan
Columbus