From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2013 10:51:09 -0400
I stopped by these 2 neighboring sites this morning to look for migrants, but the cold overnight weather seemed to have stalled any new influx of birds.  Still, there were some interesting temperate migrants on hand, including:

Vultures - 1 Black joined the flock of 20-25 Turkey Vultures hanging around Hoover dam
Red-headed Woodpeckers - rare to catch their April surge, but I had 3 today: 1 near Hoover dam, and 2 more calling in Inniswood, all adults and none in locations where they might breed.
E.Phoebes - 2 birds at each site, but no other flycatchers evident
Swallows - a large flock was perched on the newly-installed floating docks north of the dam, making short flights out over the water in search of bugs.  Most were Cliffs (70+), but there were also some Barns and Trees
House Wrens - 2 were singing around the meadow edge below Hoover Dam
Gnatcatchers - 3+ at each site
Kinglets - surprisingly few, with only single Ruby-crowns at each site
Yellow-rumped Warblers - the most common warbler by far, with 15+ at the dam and another 5-6 at Inniswood
Pine Warbler - 1 singing below Hoover dam
Palm Warbler - 1 singing below Hoover dam
Hooded Warbler - 1 calling in the woods at Inniswood
Waterthrushes - both species at Inniswood: Louisiana along Spring Creek, Northern around the swamp pond along the Chipmunk Chatter Trail (This still pool can be a great hidden spot in this park.)
Chipping Sparrows - singing individuals everywhere
Field Sparrow - 1 singing around meadow below Hoover dam
White-throated Sparrows - small flocks of 10-15 birds at both locations