From:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2013 16:16:53 -0400
This morning I went to Hoover Reservoir in Delaware County, primarily in
search of the American White Pelican reported yesterday. I started at the
boardwalk, finding no White Pelican, but I did see two Common Loons, my FOY
Great Egret, my FOY Barn Swallow and two Ospreys on the nest platform.

While in the area I walked to the end of Area N, but saw nothing other than
the usual suspects.

I then went to Oxbow Island, the other location where the Pelican was seen
yesterday. From the east end of the island looking northeast with my scope
zoomed to 60 power, I sorted through a group of 75 Ring-billed Gulls,
finding a single Lesser Black-backed Gull in the middle. I was about to give
up on the Pelican. I folded my tripod to leave, but glanced across the water
one more time. Near the far (eastern) shore, to my southeast, I saw
something white. I reset my scope to 60 power and saw the White Pelican. It
was very distant, but easily identifiable at that magnification.

The complete list of birds seen:

Hoover Reservoir (Delaware Co.), Delaware, US-OH
Apr 3, 2013 10:20 AM - 12:32 PM

Canada Goose  50
Lesser Scaup  1
Ruddy Duck  15
Common Loon  2
Double-crested Cormorant  110
American White Pelican  1     Seen at great distance through 60 power scope,
but easily identified by size and shape.
Great Blue Heron  4
Great Egret  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Osprey  2
American Coot  11
Ring-billed Gull  120
Herring Gull  4
Lesser Black-backed Gull  1     Seen via 60 power scope in group of 75
Ring-billed Gulls, noticably larger than Ring-billeds, Dark Mantle, bright
yellow bill with red spot.
Downy Woodpecker  3
Hairy Woodpecker  1
American Crow  1