From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2013 22:16:36 -0400
Please join us for a very special evening during the Columbus Audubon April
program.

7:00 pm: Columbus Audubon presents our Song Sparrow awards and members of
the Central Ohio Chapter of the Ohio Young Birders Club will share
highlights from recent field trips and conservation projects.  We will
present our annual Song Sparrow awards, and our special guest Kimberly
Kaufman will speak on Bird Conservation 101: Five Simple Steps to Build a
Brighter Future for Birds and Birders

7:30 pm: In tonight's fun and enlightening presentation, Kimberly Kaufman
will share some of the most memorable things she's learned about birds and
some simple ways to make the world a better place for birds. She'll provide
real examples of conservation initiatives that every person can participate
in--including a few that you can do from the comfort of your own home. The
time has come for each and every one of us to do a little bit more to
protect the natural world. This presentation aims to inform, educate, and
inspire you to take action on behalf of birds!

Kimberly Kaufman is an Ohio native whose lifelong love of the outdoors grew
into a passion for birds in the 1990s. She monitored nesting Bald Eagles for
the Ohio Division of Wildlife and ran bluebird trails before she began
banding migrant songbirds for the Black Swamp Bird Observatory (BSBO). Kim's
involvement with BSBO expanded as she became the observatory's education
director in 2005 and the executive director in 2009, a position she still
holds. Kim has spent the last 15 years of her life completely immersed in
the world of birds, birding, and bird conservation.

Kim also has played a key role in starting two highly successful programs:
the Ohio Young Birders Club, a group for teenagers that has served as a
model for youth programs in 13 other states, and The Biggest Week In
American Birding, a spring event that has rapidly become one of the largest
birding festivals on the continent. She is a contributing editor to Birds &
Blooms magazine and coauthor of the Kaufman Field Guide to Nature of New
England.

Columbus Audubon public programs are held at the Grange Insurance Audubon
Center (505 West Whittier Street in the Scioto-Audubon Metro Park on the
Whittier Peninsula).