From:
Ryan Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2013 13:59:15 -0400
The Magee Marsh boardwalk was fairly productive again this morning.  We started at the east end and almost immediately had the Wood Thrush.  This bird has been very close to the east end right along the boardwalk for the last three days.  Another highlight on the east end was a White-eyed Vireo.  The big loop produced both a Northern and a Louisiana Waterthrush.  Between the large and small loops we had the Hooded Warbler that continues to hang around and a single House Wren working in the leaf litter fairly close together.  There are quite a few Winter Wrens around so it was cool to see a House Wren and compare these similar species!  On the east end we heard that the Orange-crowned Warbler had been seen but I was not able to catch a glimpse of it.  A highlight right here at Black Swamp Bird Observatory this morning were a few adult White-crowned Sparrows in the window on wildlife.

Looking ahead at the forecast, tomorrow could begin the first wave of neotropical migrants (average date is 24 April). We have been setting stagnant the past 3 days with weather (hence some of the consistency on the Boardwalk) and only need some southern component to the wind direction.  The winds overnight should bring new birds into the area from the Appalachians.  Although the winds are not perfect for a huge movement into the area, tomorrow certainly could be very interesting! I would expect some of the "first ofs" to become more numerous with some new additions as well!      Normal   0               false   false   false      EN-US   X-NONE   X-NONE

Ryan Steiner
Research & Education Intern
Black Swamp Bird Observatory
13551 West State Route 2
Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449
419-898-4070
www.bsbobird.org

Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/bsbobird
http://www.facebook.com/ohioyoungbirders

BSBO is proud to sponsor BIRDING OHIO on Facebook