From:
Ryan Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2013 17:39:23 -0400
        Migration on the boardwalk at Magee Marsh has really started to pick up this last week.  The expected short-distance migrants are in the area in good numbers now and are putting on quite a show every morning.  On the boardwalk, Eastern Phoebes have been fairly reliable in the area around the pond and Song Sparrows, Golden-crowned Kinglets, and Brown Creepers are present in good numbers.  Other notable birds include a handful of Winter Wrens, an Osprey that flew by on Monday, and a single Yellow-rumped Warbler that was reported to us today.

        Perhaps the star of the show however, is the Fox Sparrows.  These birds have been gradually increasing on the boardwalk throughout the week and I counted at least 25 on the boardwalk this morning, many of which were singing.  At times I could hear up to 8 Fox Sparrows singing at the same time from all directions and it was one of the most incredible things I have witnessed out birding in my life!  Fox Sparrows have an absolutely beautiful song and if you have never heard it before it is definitely worth the trip to come hear these birds sing!

        Looking at the weather forecast for tomorrow more of these short-distance migrants should be headed our way, so the birding on the boardwalk should just get better.  For more information on what to expect during migration here in northwest Ohio this spring check out Kenn Kaufman's BSBO birding blog which can be found at http://cranecreekbirding.blogspot.com/.

 Ryan Steiner
Research & Education Intern
Black Swamp Bird Observatory
13551 West State Route 2
Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449
419-898-4070
www.bsbobird.org

Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/bsbobird
http://www.facebook.com/ohioyoungbirders

BSBO is proud to sponsor BIRDING OHIO on Facebook