From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:07:54 -0700
Three male Purple Finches visited our back yard this afternoon the 24th.  They were feeding on the pitcher's mound of seed under our hopper feeder.  Most of the time they were absent, but would come in occasionally to chow down.

Many years ago we got lots of Purple Finches at our feeders in the winter, but now that they've been replaced by House Finches, they're a rare sight in our backyard.  Today with the presence of the Purple as well as a half dozen House Finches at the same time, I was able to do a good comparative analysis.

I forgot how much larger the Purple's bill is in comparison to the House's little goldfinch-like bill.  But the thing that really struck me was how bright rosy red the Purple's upper rump and back were between his folded wings.  In fact, it was the brightest, lightest red on the whole bird.  The House Finches only showed a small patch of dull red or nothing at all in this spot if their wings covered it.  I have four field guides, and only one mentions this in passing.  Admittedly, my newest guide is over ten years old.  Unless my Purple Finches are unusual, I would make this a diagnostic field mark, especially if you only get a glimpse at the back.  Anybody else want to comment on this?

Also, we had a FOY backyard Wood Thrush today.

John and Ann Edwards
Rocky River
Cuyahoga County