From:
Ryan Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2013 16:43:22 -0400
The birding at Magee Marsh Wildlife Area has continued to be good this week with quite a few warbler species seen.  On the Boardwalk there were quite a few Yellow-rumped Warblers around, but they were far from the only warblers in the area!  A highlight for me was three different Orange-crowned Warblers today.  One of these birds, seen on the east side of the big loop, had a lot of yellow on it and had a fairly bright orange crown.  In the last two days, Yellow Warblers have arrived in numbers and are being seen throughout the Boardwalk.  A Hooded Warbler and Ovenbird were working the brushy edge near number 11 this afternoon and a Nashville Warbler was foraging in a willow around number 15.  Interestingly, I had a Nashville Warbler in this same tree on Tuesday, so that area must be a good spot to look for them!  Today we had a Northern Waterthrush singing on the west end of the pond and yesterday a Louisiana was foraging at the East entrance to the Boardwalk.  Around number 23 was a male Common Yellowthroat. Palm Warblers have also arrived in some numbers and we had two in the parking lot today and two on the East Beach yesterday.

Another highlight from the East Beach yesterday was a single Lincoln's Sparrow that was foraging in with a large flock of White-throated Sparrows, another species that has arrived in large numbers.  Both House and Winter Wrens are being seen on the Boardwalk now and it has been fun comparing these two similar species.  Both White-eyed and Blue-headed Vireos, as well as Gray Catbirds, have been around all week as well.  Another highlight from a few days ago was an Eastern Kingbird I saw along Rt-2 about 5 miles east of the BSBO!

Word from BSBO's main Banding Station indicates minor movement the past couple of days with new arrivals each day. Tuesday highlights included Lincoln's Sparrow, Red-eyed Vireo, and an increase in rails. Today indicated a major push of White-throated Sparrows, a Great Crested Flycatcher, and a sprinkling of warblers including a very exciting Blackpoll Warbler!

Weather forecast looks very promising for the next week once we get through tonight's cold temperatures. There will be a lot of new arrivals as the First Wave hits the region in earnest. Follow our predictions with Kenn Kaufman's birding blog http://cranecreekbirding.blogspot.com/      Normal   0               false   false   false      EN-US   X-NONE   X-NONE

Ryan Steiner
Research & Education Intern
Black Swamp Bird Observatory
13551 West State Route 2
Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449
419-898-4070
www.bsbobird.org

Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/bsbobird
http://www.facebook.com/ohioyoungbirders

BSBO is proud to sponsor BIRDING OHIO on Facebook