Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2013 19:00:04 -0400
Thismorning 40 intrepid birders gathered at the Area M parking lot at the HooverNature Preserve. As I began with a brief background about the preserve and theProthonotary Warbler nest box trail the temperature was hovering at 39 degrees.Neither the people, nor the birds, were put off for long as it warmed up to acomfortable 67 degrees.

Westarted in the parking lot with White-eyed Vireo and House Wren. As wecontinued along the boardwalk the show opened with Osprey doing aerial maneuversabove us. Between the individuals overhead and on the nest platforms there was4 or 5 Osprey present. There appears to be an adult nest-sitting on bothplatforms. Kudos to Dick Tuttle who is our local Osprey platform guru.Continuing along the platform the first of our Prothonotary Warblers checkedin. They are bringing nest material to the new nest boxes assembled andinstalled by the Ohio Young Birders Club during our workdays last fall.

Next wewandered into Area N where the temperature and action both heated up. TheProthonotary Warblers put on a great show at Area N, singing from perches,foraging along fallen tree trunks and showing off their dazzling color in thesunlight. Everyone had great looks and pictures were taken of many of the 20 orso males that we located. Almost everyone wore the right footwear for sloshingthrough Prothonotary Warbler habitat and we headed to the back 40 as a group.In addition to the Prothonotary Warblers some of the species we observed in theback 40 were Northern Parula, Yellow-throated, Palm, Yellow, and Yellow-rumpedWarblers; Warbling Vireo, a Spotted Sandpiper, Belted Kingfisher, Red-headedWoodpeckers, a Gray Catbird and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers at their nest amongothers. We tallied 62 species when done.

Anotheraspect of the morning’s walk was wild flower gawking and picture taking asthere was a nice variety of blooming flowers. Virginia Bluebells wereeverywhere giving the ground a blanket of blue. Others found include Dutchman’s-Breeches,Spring Beauty, Trout-Lily and more.

We hada great and diverse group of birders that I enjoyed sharing the preserve andProthonotaries with. I have no doubt the golden jewels will bring them back formore.

CharlieBombaci
HooverNature Preserve