From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2013 15:27:40 -0400
I was afield and "aforest" on our property between 11 AM and 1 PM today.

Certainly the most startling encounter for me was a possible or probable
yellow-billed cuckoo. I understand that this is early, since the species is
a late spring migrant. I invite comments. My experience was thus:
(Locations are my own names for places on our property, and I use them for
my own later reference.) Around 11:30 I was trailblazing my way through
last year's fallen trees (from the windstorm) and the multiflora rose
encroachments on my trail just inside the southside edge of the Nibelheim
Ravine. Several small warblers (palm and blue-winged) were foraging around
the blooming deciduous canopy. While focused on the small birds, I saw a
comparatively very large bird swoop through the mid-story, and come to a
partially obscured (by intervening branches) perch 40 feet distant. I
briefly had this bird in binocular view, and during this 2 or 3 second
sighting I saw the underside of a partially-fanned, long, wedge-shaped
tail, with multiple, large, flashy, lateral white patches. The effect was
very striking and memorable. My footing was not good (muddy, with logs
around my feet, and rose tentacles grabbing at my jacket) and as I shifted
I stumbled. So it goes. When I regained my stance I had lost the bird. The
next thing I saw was a pair of brown thrashers in the same vicinity, but
the previous bird was hardly a brown thrasher (although fairly similar in
size.)

So, I hope I get some comments from those who might know if this sighting
of *Coccyzus americanum* is plausible for April 28. The size, shape,
behavior and field marks were right. I did not hear it vocalize. The date
seems a bit off, and I don't recall seeing it reported yet this year. I do
not have it on my "yard" list, although there is no reason why it should
not occur here. I have heard vocalizations here before, in summer, but my
own rules require a first twitch to be visual. This observer has been at
this birdwatching thing for 51 years, although he has his clumsy moments.

In other news, first-of-season palm warbler (see above), and
yellow-breasted chat. Other warblers: Louisiana waterthrush, ovenbird,
yellow, blue-winged, and Dendroica/Vermivora sp.

First of season rose-breasted grosbeak, heard multiple times, seen once.

I heard no white-throated or white-crowned sparrows today. Perhaps they
have moved on through.

A red-headed woodpecker was on the utility pole with our suet feeders this
morning. This "bonus" made the woodpecker species count 6 today, along with
downy, hairy, flicker, red-bellied, and pileated (the standard 5.) I tried
to find a sapsucker, to get all 7, but alas to no avail.

I'm going back out to look for the cuckoo... (now 3:28 PM)

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Valhalla Acres Fiber Farm
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County