From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2013 18:36:49 -0400
* *For the twenty or so readers of this list who might stumble into Perry
County, by accident or not, this was a great birding day, and here are some
excellent sites and sightings.

YELLOW BILLED CUCKOO  Just like Robert in Muskingham County, we thought
this bird a bit early, but when you see it, you see it.  This one was in
our yard near Somerset.

BROAD WINGED HAWK   This bird was found in the Perry State Forest, near
Somerset.  It politely perched until we could ID it and then flew,
revealing further id marks

PRAIRIE WARBLER  At least two were seen/heard near the Rehoboth Reclamation
area north of New Lex.  Got killer looks from 5 yards.  Beautiful bird

BLUE WINGED WARBLER  Also seen near the reclamation area on *Pole Cat
Road.* For
those of you who might ever actually bird in Perry County, I *highly
recommend *this area.  Went here specifically to find this bird and was not
disappointed. Once again, killer looks within 5 yards.  (Also went for a
Yellow breasted Chat and missed on this one.  Heard/saw over a dozen there
last year, but they are not back yet. )

YELLOW THROATED VIREO  Got this one, first heard, then seen at St. Joe's
Lake, southeast of Somerset.

Other sightings included Scarlet Tanager, Baltimore oriole, Yellow legs,
Green heron, five other warbler species, probable Grasshopper sparrow,
three swallow species, and chimney swift.

Joe Faulkner
Somerset, Ohio
Perry County