From:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2013 19:29:48 -0400
I am posting the following report for Jack Stenger.

Jay Stenger

I birded Big Island Wildlife Area this morning. It was raining most of the time, but the birds didn't disappoint. Highlights are below. Shorebirds were scattered, but generally difficult to see and waterfowl were present in good numbers for late April.

WESTERN MEADOWLARK: The bird was singing repeatedly along Herr Rd. It was on the west side of the road about 0.5 miles south of its intersection with route 309. It was in the shorter green grass just south of where the short, green grassland and yellow, tall grassland meet (obvious when you're there). Many Eastern Meadowlark present as well.

KING RAIL: Calling from the LaRue-Prospect Rd. Unit. I did not use recordings.

American Golden-Plover: 120 in skypools north of the 95/203 intersection. I also heard two longspurs calling from far back in these fields. I never got a good enough look to identify them to species, but still noteworthy nonetheless.

Full checklist for the day:

Jack Stenger