From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2013 21:33:14 -0400
This report will be old news to many who have been reporting woodcocks from
around the state for some time. But I am happy to report that woodcocks are
present and active here at our upland farm on Flint Ridge in western
Muskingum County. My sporadic business travel means that sometimes I have
witnessed this annual occurrence, and sometimes I have missed it. The past
two weeks I have been out of state, and earlier this week I was busy in the
evenings. Still, I truly look forward to these charming and interesting
birds every year, and I must admit I have been deeply disappointed the
years I haven't seen or heard them.

All is right with the world, at least with the avian part of the world at
our place. This evening at dusk I circled around the edge of our pastures
and fields. I didn't necessarily expect to hear anything during my walk
across the hilltop pasture. Nothing but a robin or two down by the
neighbor's cattle. I wandered around the edge counterclockwise, flushing a
robin and a sparrow sp., until I got to the back forty, actually six acres
of successional scrubby field that is ideal for woodcocks. Then, according
to plan, I heard an ascending twitter of wings followed by the lilting
whistle of the descent. No peenting until after the second flight, but the
wing-song is unmistakeable. I smiled, and celebrated with a private
fist-pump. Then one individual peented nearby, with an answering call from
some more distant point. A couple more flights and calls, and I proceeded
around the remainder of the edge. I think I discerned a third calling
woodcock somewhere down in the young forest. Beautiful evening!

So we have woodcocks. I am happy about it. Spring is "officially" here.
There was some discussion about signs of spring a while back on this list.
I note each sign in its turn, but for me, the presence of woodcocks is
always welcome.

Now if the pasture would just get growing, we could feed less hay. To every
thing there is a season.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Valhalla Acres Fiber Farm