From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2013 02:33:57 +0000
As predicted by Ryan Steiner and others, today (Thursday April 4) produced a good migration in the area of Magee Marsh, n.w. Ohio. With light southwest winds during the day, a good flight of Turkey Vultures and other raptors developed. I was tied up with work and conference calls so I couldn't get out until mid-afternoon, but between 3:05 and 4:40 pm I counted birds seen from the "hawkwatch tower" at Magee. During that time I noted 177 Turkey Vultures, 7 Red-tailed Hawks, 2 Red-shouldered Hawks, and an American Kestrel that all seemed to be clearly migrating (plus a couple of resident Red-tails in the area). Bald Eagles were present in numbers, including many young birds high overhead, and frequently there were as many as eight visible at once, but it was hard to tell how many of them were migrating through and how many were repeat sightings. At about 4:20 pm, a near-adult Golden Eagle came high overhead, headed west (the direction that migrants take in this area); photos of this bird are posted on the Birding Ohio facebook page.

As may be typical, there was quite a movement of Turkey Vultures late in the day. More than 60 came past between 3:15 and 4:00, and then another 110 during the first half hour after 4:00. These birds all happened to be coming right over the hawkwatch tower. Flight lines here can vary quite a bit, and they become more concentrated farther west, as around Maumee Bay State Park.

On the Magee boardwalk, excellent numbers of Fox Sparrows and Golden-crowned Kinglets were present late in the day, along with several Brown Creepers and an obvious migratory movement of Song Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos. The Fox Sparrows (many of them singing) were widespread along the boardwalk but were especially noticeable near numbers 15, 25, and 22B. For a map showing the locations of the numbers along the boardwalk rail, see this link: http://www.bsbo.org/birding/pdf/magee_marsh_boardwalk_map_and_text.pdf

Conditions are still looking good for another arrival of migrants this weekend, especially diurnal migrants during the day on Saturday and nocturnal migrants coming in overnight on Saturday night. More predictions can be found here: http://cranecreekbirding.blogspot.com/

It's getting to be that time of year! Good birding, everyone!

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, OH