MUCWFAC Archives

May 2013

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cathy Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2013 11:12:34 -0400
Hi all, I like Keith's open model very much (just in case: my
suggestion about 330/430 and 651 wasn't at all meant to imply that I
want to keep tracks -- just to give students who want to continue on
with poetry an option).

I don't think revising the learning outcomes is a problem, or a reason
not to change the major.

As for reasons for the poetry enrollment problem: arggh, I don't know.
It might be to do with our not teaching 226 enough -- that combined
with vocationalism. Maybe we suck and everybody hates us. I don't
_think_ that's true -- our evals are good, anyway.

We should try to find out whether other programs are encountering
poetry brain-drain or whether it's a Miami-specific thing.

I do want myself to teach poetry classes at least once in awhile. I'd
be delighted to teach hybrid/performance classes too. I don't think
I'm at all cut out for Literary Marketplace but Jody shouldn't have to
teach it all the time; I'd be willing to take it on once in awhile.

Cathy