From:
Andrea Haslage <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrea Haslage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2013 19:12:58 -0700
Greetings birders!

Since 2001, some of my awesome park volunteers and I spend a day birdwatching at Slate Run Metro Park and raise money for the local Audubon society, with the hopes we can find 100 bird species in the park. The "Slate (Run) Colored Juncos" held our bird-a-thon today, and exceeded our expectations with 101 species! Highlights included hearing sandhill cranes, seeing black-billed cuckoos, lots of hooded and Kentucky warblers, and three short-billed dowitchers. The variety of habitats at Slate Run certainly adds to our chances of success here.  Wetlands, grasslands, succession fields, forests, and picnic areas fill the 1700 acres of this park.

Some misses included ruby-throated hummingbird and orchard oriole, although both species had been seen on Friday. Oh well.  Stop by Slate Run before migration is over!  Slate Run is part of the Columbus & Franklin County Metro Parks.

Andrea Krava
Slate Run Metro Park Naturalist
Canal Winchester, OH