From:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2013 18:51:23 -0700
Don Morse, Jr. and I participated on a team to compete in our local bird-a-thon this Friday 5/10 and Saturday 5/11. Our bird-a-thon includes any county that is within a 50 mile radius of the Oxbow in Lawrenceburg, IN. So several counties in OH, IN and KY are fair game. Don and I stayed in Ohio and covered 10 counties (In order of visit - Montgomery, Greene, Warren, Clermont, Brown, Adams, Highland, Clinton, Butler and Hamilton). We would end up with 132 species. We would miss three species that we found while scouting on Friday before the official 5 p.m. start. During this period we had Alder Flycatcher and Blue Grosbeak at Campbell Lakes Preserve (Hamilton Co.) and 2 Bell's Vireos at Kilby Rd. Gravel Pits (Hamilton Co.).

Highlights during the Bird-a-thon:

Friday 5/10/13:

Great Miami Mitigation Bank (Montgomery Co.) - 8-10 Grasshopper Sparrows, 3 Cliff Swallows.
Englewood Preserve (Montgomery Co.) - 1 female Gadwall.
Dayton Airport (Montgomery Co.) - 3-4 Savannah Sparrows.
Caesar's Creek State Park (Warren Co.) - all 3 gulls (several ring-billed, 1 Bonaparte's, 2 Herring) on the beach with 2 Caspian Terns.
Spring Valley Wildlife Area south (Warren Co.) - 1 Barred Owl.
East Fork State Park (Clermont Co.) - 1 Eastern Screech-Owl.

Saturday 5/11/13:

Higginsport, OH (Brown Co.) - 1 Barn Owl (at nest), Bald Eagle (on nest).
Brush Run Rd. (Adams Co.) - at least 6 Whip-Poor-Wills.
Abner Hollow (Adams Co.) - 1 Worm-eating Warbler.
Sams Rd. fields at route 753 just east of Rocky Fork Lake (Highland Co.) - at least 8 Henslow's Sparrows.
Rocky Fork State Park (Highland Co.) - 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 2 Great Egrets, 8+ Forster's Terns, 2 Caspian Terns, 1 Ruddy Duck, 2 female Lesser Scaup, 1 female Bufflehead, 1 Blackpoll Warbler, 1 Bay-breasted Warbler.
New Vienna Rd. (Clinton Co.) - 1 Vesper Sparrow.
Spring Valley Wildlife boardwalk (Greene Co.) - 1 Sedge Wren, 1 Swamp Sparrow, 1 Lincoln's Sparrow (adjacent to field near parking lot).
Voice of America Park (Butler Co.) - 1 Willow Flycatcher, Bobolink, 2 Least Sandpiper, 1 Pectoral Sandpiper, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Semipalmated Plover.
Winton Woods (Hamilton Co.) - 7 Black-crowned Night-Herons at mixed colony, 1 Red-shouldered Hawk.
Blue Rock Rd. at Villa Ln. Lark Sparrow site (Hamilton Co.) - 1 Broad-winged Hawk.
Kilby Rd. Gravel Pits (Hamilton Co.) - 1 Common Loon (we had 3 birds when we had scouted earlier Friday).

David A. Brinkman, M.Ed.
1631 Kellywood Ave.
Cincinnati, OH 45238-4011
513-675-8665 (cell)