Date:
Mon, 13 May 2013 18:44:28 -0400
Today I visited an unspoiled forested area in PorterTownship, Delaware County that I covered during the Ohio Breeding Bird AtlasII. Somehow this wonderful area has escaped development and has been placedunder an environmental easement that will ensure it will continue undisturbed.It is comprised of old growth hardwood forest with several vernal pools.

The canopy was ringing with the sounds of singing birdsincluding many Cerulean Warblers, Red-eyed Vireos, Great Crested Flycatchers,Wood Thrush, Summer Tanagers, and Scarlet Tanagers. The mid-level tierresounded with the calls of Swainson’s Thrush, Veery, Ovenbirds, Wood Peeweeand Acadian Flycatchers. The vernal pool had Redheaded Woodpeckers and a HoodedMerganser hen and her 7 ducklings. A Barred Owl silently swept through thetrees and landed where it could be seen clearly. We watched each other until itlifted from its perch and continued on its way. At the edge of the woods aRuby-throated Hummingbird was perched on a bare branch looking like a smallvulture aka Snoopy from the Peanuts comic strip. Rose-breasted Grosbeaks wereon a bird feeder and a White-crowned Sparrow worked the area under the feeder.The latter had to share the ground with a Wild Turkey hen that meandered acrossa lawn and joined the sparrow under the feeder. These were part of a chillymorning made better by the company of our feathered friends.

Charlie Bombaci