Date:
Tue, 14 May 2013 16:28:52 -0400
Well now I'm beginning to enjoy spring despite my allergies. I checked my nest boxes at Areas M and N in Galena (Delaware County) this morning and then headed into the back 40 to see what was happening. Snoopy would be dancing on his dog house with joy.

At the boardwalk in Area M, after negotiating the fishermen, I observed Prothonotary Warblers at 3 nest boxes and a fourth with a female at a section with no nest boxes. Then I was delighted to see the Osprey who had appeared to abandon their nest on Platform #2 because of boaters tying up to the platform, were both present and one seems to be setting on eggs again?

In Area N I located 21 Prothonotary Warblers (12M and 9F) all flitting around collecting moss. I managed to detect the natural cavity location for 6 pairs. I almost cracked up by the antics of one female. She had so much moss in her beak that I don't know how she could tell where she was flying. I will start tagging nest locations this week to enable me to monitor the progress of each. In addition to the Prothonotary Warblers at Area N I also observed Louisiana Waterthrush, Northern Parula, Yellow-throated Warbler and Yellow-throated Vireo. On my way out I located an active Blue-gray Gnatcatcher nest. The female on the nest eyed my like a future mother-in-law, a look that said behave. How can such a tiny wisp of a bird look tough?

I declare the nursery open for business.

One last note, I carried out my first 50 gallon bag of fresh beer cans. I thought you were not supposed to drink and cast. This may explain why there are so many bobber floats and lures hanging from the trees at Hoover Reservoir.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve