From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2013 10:28:29 -0400
I second pretty much everything Haans has said. I do wonder why he seems
to encourage a twitter feed at the same time he laments the
fragmentation of sources of information, though. I too hail Jen's
efforts to forward news here for folks, concentrating on the more
interesting items that might otherwise languish on other forums. As for
this one, I doubt Miami University will start running ads or sharing our
addresses with unwelcome sources; it has reasonable rules understood and
observed by nearly everyone, and its sponsorship by the OOS and a major
university seeks to ensure an atmosphere of scientific inquiry and the
advancement of knowledge along with the personal enjoyment involved. The
proliferation of other forums on birding topics is healthy as well, as
they more often cater to chattier topics, etc., and fill out the
spectrum of sites available without crowding oil and water on a single
site.
        All in all, while I realize that once in a while a novice might post a
photo of a real rarity at the backyard feeder on another forum, I'd like
to see us all expect topics that nearly EVeryone on Ohio-birds will
relish to appear here as well.
Good birding to all,
Bill Whan